I am lucky. I am lucky that I get to share this calling with my husband. Shaun is the ward chorister. He keeps me calm each Sunday that I'm up to bat (it's seriously like clock work. i am always having a nervous urge to run to the restroom right as i am needed to go up and play. tmi?). He has taught me a lot about timing, when to come in, how to follow him with those darn fermatas and guess what? We're still a train wreck and I love every second of it. It's my entertainment each week. We always end up laughing our way through the closing prayers. Thankfully we are behind a giant piano so nobody see's Shaun's mouth say "what was THAT?!" and me laugh till I cry. Last week I played the introduction with some crazy notes thrown in so I just decided to stop the intro and start playing the hymn, which resulted in Shaun doing a crazy arm-seizure situation and a wide eyed look (only a few came up to us and said they noticed that one). Long story short, if I have to accompany people, I am glad that Shaun is my right hand man in the matter. Plus he's cute...DUH!
1.27.2015
"USE IT OR LOSE IT"
That is something I had always heard from people. Including my piano teachers and my mother. I never believed a word of it. I was talented, I knew how to play, I even had piano students. Then I graduated high school and college happened and what do you know... MY TALENT IS GONE. I have so enjoyed being able to get back into the groove of things by learning a hymn every now and then. Although when asked to be one of the ward pianists, I panicked. I have always been the soloist: my own timing, a ritardando or two thrown in where I please, adding notes or chords whenever I want etc. Accompanying singers is so much pressure and a whole different ballpark. BUT. . .
I am lucky. I am lucky that I get to share this calling with my husband. Shaun is the ward chorister. He keeps me calm each Sunday that I'm up to bat (it's seriously like clock work. i am always having a nervous urge to run to the restroom right as i am needed to go up and play. tmi?). He has taught me a lot about timing, when to come in, how to follow him with those darn fermatas and guess what? We're still a train wreck and I love every second of it. It's my entertainment each week. We always end up laughing our way through the closing prayers. Thankfully we are behind a giant piano so nobody see's Shaun's mouth say "what was THAT?!" and me laugh till I cry. Last week I played the introduction with some crazy notes thrown in so I just decided to stop the intro and start playing the hymn, which resulted in Shaun doing a crazy arm-seizure situation and a wide eyed look (only a few came up to us and said they noticed that one). Long story short, if I have to accompany people, I am glad that Shaun is my right hand man in the matter. Plus he's cute...DUH!
I am lucky. I am lucky that I get to share this calling with my husband. Shaun is the ward chorister. He keeps me calm each Sunday that I'm up to bat (it's seriously like clock work. i am always having a nervous urge to run to the restroom right as i am needed to go up and play. tmi?). He has taught me a lot about timing, when to come in, how to follow him with those darn fermatas and guess what? We're still a train wreck and I love every second of it. It's my entertainment each week. We always end up laughing our way through the closing prayers. Thankfully we are behind a giant piano so nobody see's Shaun's mouth say "what was THAT?!" and me laugh till I cry. Last week I played the introduction with some crazy notes thrown in so I just decided to stop the intro and start playing the hymn, which resulted in Shaun doing a crazy arm-seizure situation and a wide eyed look (only a few came up to us and said they noticed that one). Long story short, if I have to accompany people, I am glad that Shaun is my right hand man in the matter. Plus he's cute...DUH!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Plus YOU'RE cute! And your arms look NIIIIIIIICE!! And what's with the adorable PINK FLORAL skirt in January?! Florida... Love you guys.
ReplyDelete